Happy Easter Everyone! I have an extra delicious recipe for you today on this especially joyous day. These chilled individual lemon pies are not only the perfect spring dessert but are also conveniently prepared in jars for easy transport so you can bring them with you to to share at gatherings.
These are best prepared on a leisurely afternoon when you have nothing to do but listen to a record while humming over your stove. The lemon curd, which is gluten and dairy free, is the star of the dessert and takes a bit of patience to prepare. I promise it is worth it though! The curd is creamy and bright with just the right amount of tangy sweetness.
Even if you don’t enjoy these beauties today, I hope you enjoy a wonderful day with the ones you love and allow yourself to indulge in something sweet.
Chilled Individual Lemon Pies (gluten & dairy free)
Ingredients: Serves 6
For the lemon curd:
- 3 pastured eggs
- 1/4 cup of honey
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3-5 medium lemons)
- 6 tbsp of coconut oil or pastured butter (or a combo)
For the coconut pecan crust:
- 1 cup of raw pecans
- 1/2 cup of cashews
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 tbsp of pastured butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 tsp of sea salt
Optionally top with whipped coconut cream, whipped cream or fresh berries.
For the curd:
- Whisk together the eggs, lemon zest and honey until light colored. This took me about 1 minute of continuous whisking.
- Add in the lemon juice and coconut oil/butter.
- Cook curd over medium-low heat, whisking continually, until the curd thickens and small bubbles lightly pop to the surface. This can take up to 45 minutes of whisking. Resist the temptation to turn up the heat!
- Once thickened, place a strainer over a large bowl and pour the curd through the strainer. Stir the curd in the strainer if it begins to get clogged.
- Place strained lemon curd into the fridge and allow to chill while you prepare the crust.
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Toss the cashews and pecans and the butter/oil together and spread out on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes then removed from the oven and stir in the shredded coconut. Bake for another 5 minutes or until nuts and shredded coconut are nicely toasted.
- Put the pecan mixture and sea salt into a food processor and process until it is a roughly fine meal.
To assemble the Chilled Individual Lemon Pies:
- I recommend using mini mason jars for this.
- First layer 2-3 tbsp of the pecan crust into the bottom of the jar then 3-4 tbsp of chilled lemon curd.
- Allow to chill for several hours or overnight.
- Top off with your choice of whipped cream, coconut cream or berries right before serving.
Curd adapted from The Nourishing Gourmet